This Orzo Salad with Oven-Roasted Vegetables is a delightful combination of hearty orzo pasta and colorful roasted vegetables, tossed in a tangy balsamic dressing. It’s perfect for serving as a main dish or side dish at any meal, and it’s sure to be a hit with family and friends alike.
1 cup dried orzo
1 medium-large sweet potato, peeled, cut into ½-inch pieces (about 2 cups)
¾-pound Brussels sprouts, trimmed, and quartered (about 3 cups)
1 medium red onion, roughly chopped
Drizzle of olive oil, plus more for dressing
Salt to taste
1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
2/3 cup walnuts
¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon maple syrup
¼ teaspoon dried basil
¼ teaspoon dried oregano
¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 small garlic clove
¼ teaspoon salt, or to taste
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/3 cup dried cranberries
- Preheat the oven to 425ºF.
- Cook the orzo according to the directions on the packet until al dente.
- Place the sweet potato, Brussels sprouts, and red onion into a large bowl. Toss with a generous drizzle of olive oil and salt to taste. Transfer to a large nonstick rimmed baking sheet. Roast for about 20 minutes, or until the sweet potato is fork tender. Toss after 10 minutes so they cook evenly.
- Place the chickpeas and walnuts into the same bowl. Toss with a drizzle of olive oil, and salt to taste. Transfer to a small rimmed baking sheet. Roast with the vegetables on a lower rack.
- Remove the walnuts from the oven after about 7 minutes, or once they are golden brown. Continue cooking the chickpeas until the vegetables are ready.
- Meanwhile, add the olive oil, maple syrup, basil, oregano, and crushed red pepper to a small jar with a lid. Grate the garlic into the jar using a microplane or fine grater. Add salt and pepper. Cover and shake until well combined. Set aside.
- Transfer the orzo, sweet potato, Brussels sprouts, red onion, chickpeas, and walnuts to a large bowl. Add the dressing, parsley, and cranberries. Mix to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve warm or refrigerate for later use and enjoy as a chilled.